Live your life on cloud 9 (and beyond)

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Too much time on my hands (or feet)

Perhaps I just have too much time on my hands but I have been thinking about the sayings that we use all the time and wondering why we use them and if maybe some of them should be updated. For example, it is very common for people to say that their phone has been "ringing off the hook" but when was the last time you saw a phone who's receiver was actually hanging on a hook? It is certainly time to update THAT saying. So what should we say instead? Maybe "my phone has been vibrating out of my pocket!" No, I guess that just doesn't have the same "ring" to it (pardon my pun.)
OK, so how about the phrase "well that opens up a whole can of worms!" Really? Did people used to buy worms in a can? I don't even know how to modernize that one. Would it mean the same thing if some one said that something "opened up a whole bottle of Gatorade?" (My apologies to the Gatorade people.)
And I am so tired of hearing that something is so hard to find that it is like "finding a needle in a haystack." I mean first of all, how do needles get into haystacks in the first place? And even if you did loose a needle in a haystack, couldn't you just get another needle? I mean surely it will turn up sooner or later. Maybe your cow will find it when he starts eating your hay.
And what's so great about being on "cloud nine?" Wouldn't it be better to be on cloud ten?
Do other people think about these things? Or do I just have too much time on my hands? Wait, why do we say we have "time on our hands?" I think I actually spend more time on my feet.

No comments: